Want to create or adapt books like this? Learn more about how Pressbooks supports open publishing practices.
Book Contents Navigation
Private: Web Literacy for Student Fact Checkers
1. Why This Book?
2. Four Fact-Checking Strategies
3. When Emotional Content Goes Viral
4. Has it Already Been Fact-Checked?
5. Fact-checking Sites
7. Find the Source
8. Identifying Sponsored Content
9. Activity: Spot Sponsored Content
10. Understanding Syndication
11. Tracking the Source of Viral Content
12. Tracking the Source of Viral Photos
13. Using Google Reverse Image Search
14. Filtering by Time and Place to Find the Original
15. Activity: Trace Viral Photos
16. What “Reading Laterally” Means
17. Evaluating a Website or Publication’s Authority
18. Basic Techniques: Domain Searches, WHOIS
19. Activity: Evaluate a Site
20. Time-Saving Tips for Fact-Checkers
21. Finding a Journal’s Impact Factor
22. Using Google Scholar to Check Author Expertise
23. How to Think about Research
24. Finding High Quality Secondary Sources
25. Choosing Your Experts First
26. Evaluating News Sources
27. What Makes a Trustworthy News Source?
28. National Newspapers of Record
29. Activity: Expert or Crank?
30. Activity: Find Top Authorities for a Subject
31. Verifying Twitter Identity
32. Activity: Verify a Twitter Account
33. Using the Wayback Machine to Check for Page Changes
34. Finding Out When a Page Was Published Using Google
35. Citation Rates
36. Using Google Books to Track Down Quotes
37. Understanding Astroturfing
38. Searching TV Transcripts with the Internet Archive
39. Treating Google’s “Snippets” with Suspicion
40. Using Buzzsumo to Find Highly Viral Stories
41. Finding Out Who Owns a Domain
42. Avoiding Confirmation Bias in Searches
43. Promoted Tweets
44. Finding Old Newspaper Articles
Private: Image Descriptions
General Kellogg was promoted by President Trump as acting head of the National Security Council on February 13, 2017. Is this Twitter account his?
Visit the Twitter account @GenKeithKellogg
Explain your reasons.
Web Literacy for College Students 2nd Ed Copyright © 2020 by NSCC and Michael A. Caulfield is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.