What you’ll learn to do: define psychological disorders and explain how they are classified
Psychological disorders are conditions characterized by abnormal thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Although challenging, it is essential for psychologists and mental health professionals to agree on what experiences and actions constitute the presence of a psychological disorder. Inner experiences and behaviors that are atypical or violate social norms could signify the presence of a disorder; however, each of these criteria alone is inadequate. It is generally accepted that a psychological disorder is defined by significant disturbances in thoughts, feelings, and behaviors; these disturbances must reflect some kind of dysfunction (biological, psychological, or developmental), must cause significant impairment in one’s life, and must not reflect culturally expected reactions to certain life events.
In this section, you’ll learn about how disorders are defined, and also how they are diagnosed and classified. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) is essentially a classification manual that clinicians can use to read about the criteria, prevalence, risk factors, and details about over 200 disorders.
- Describe how psychological disorders are defined, as well as the inherent difficulties in doing so
- Describe the basic features of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) and how it is used to classify disorders
- Discuss historical and supernatural perspectives as well as modern and biological perspectives on the origin of psychological disorders
- Describe the diathesis-stress model and its importance to the study of psychopathology
Licenses and Attributions (Click to expand)
CC licensed content, Original
- Modification, adaptation, and original content. Provided by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY: Attribution
CC licensed content, Shared previously
- What Are Psychological Disorders?. Authored by: OpenStax College. Located at: https://openstax.org/books/psychology-2e/pages/15-1-what-are-psychological-disorders. License: CC BY: Attribution. License Terms: Download for free at https://openstax.org/books/psychology-2e/pages/1-introduction
- Image of anguish. Authored by: Porsche Brosseau. Located at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/porsche-linn/5561412422. License: CC BY: Attribution