By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define operations management and discuss the role of the operations manager in a manufacturing company.
- Describe the decisions and activities of the operations manager in overseeing the production process in a manufacturing company.
- Explain the importance of both PERT and Gantt charts.
- Explain how manufacturing companies use technology to produce and deliver goods in an efficient, cost-effective manner.
- Describe the decisions made in planning the product delivery process in a service company.
- Identify the characteristics that distinguish service operations from manufacturing operations and identify the activities undertaken to manage operations in a service organization.
- Explain how total quality management provides value to customers.
- Explain how outsourcing provides value to customers.
Show What You Know