Textbooks are different from other books – they’re a key learning resource for your courses. Textbooks help you to plan and identify key learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter. They also also introduce you to new vocabulary. Textbooks help you to see what you need to learn. By readying your textbook, you’ll be able to plan for mastering the material.
In this chapter you’ll learn how to use a strategy called SQ4R, which includes creating questions to guide your reading. These questions become a tool to monitor how well you remember the concepts later.
By the end of this chapter, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the ways reading connects with your learning goals in your courses.
- Use the SQ4R Strategy to read purposefully.
- Identify ways note-taking supports your learning.
- Write effective notes that can be used for review and test preparation.
- Create a personal dictionary.