8.4 Developing Positioning Statements
- Describe a standard structure for positioning statements
- Outline criteria for a strong positioning statement
- Recognize good examples of positioning statements
- Create a positioning statement aligned with a value proposition and target audience
- Develop and evaluate positioning statements based on defined criteria
After marketers work through the process of homing in on the best positioning strategy, they arrive at the final step: the positioning statement. The positioning statement reflects everything you’ve learned up to that point about how your product, service, or brand can best reach your target segment. As a document, it explains exactly how you plan to provide value to those target customers. In effect, it’s a short, persuasive argument.
In this next section, you’ll learn a simple formula for creating effective positioning statements. You’ll also learn how to evaluate existing positioning statements and decide whether and how they might be improved.
- Reading: Developing Positioning Statements